Home Inspection TipsIf you are a new homebuyer and thinking about buying a home here in Oldham County KY, It is clearly a good idea to hire a professional when having a home inspection, it is also not a bad idea to further educate yourself on what to look for and what you can expect during the home inspection.Go ahead. Grab a flashlight and some gloves and start looking beyond all of those appealing features.You never know what you may find-Check out these Home-Inspection nightmares from This Old House.
What to look for in a Home Inspection.
- Multiple layers of Shingles
- Missing shingles
- Curling shingles
- Nail Pops
- Chimney (Flaking or chipping brick)
Check for proper ventilation in:
- Ridge vents
- Soffit vents
- Gable vents
- Adequate gutter system based on size of roof and the slope ( 3" or 4" gutters)
- Check for downspouts and splash-blocks
- Sagging gutters
- Is the rain water being directed away from the base of the home
- Check for proper grading
- Is the slope sufficient (at least 3%-5%)
DOORS & WINDOWS
- Check for doors or windows that are stuck or hard to open
- Look for cracks above windows and doorways (signs of foundation shifts)
- Caulking around the window
- water stains or signs of mold from water intrusion
- Uneven floors-loose floor boards
- Cracks in tile floors
WALLS & CEILINGS
- Check for water stains on ceilings or evidence of a recent repair
- Cracks in walls or ceilings
- Electrical Outlets-Loose outlets, Grounded, GFCI receptacles
- Check for leaking faucets
- Caulking around bathtub
- Check for adequate water pressure
- Inoperable or loose toilets
- Check age of appliances
- Condition-signs of ignored preventative maintenance
- Check caulking around sink
- Functionality of stove
- Check kitchen cabinet doors and drawers
- Possible water stains or mold under kitchen sink
SELLERSShould I stay or should I go?
Hey Sellers!!! Not sure if you should be present at the home inspection? Check out Home Inspection Tips for Sellers. Can you think of any tips? Please COMMENT or SHARE below.
Nathan Garrett is a Licensed REALTOR in Louisville Kentucky. Manager and creator of the GarrettsRealty.com website. Specializing in Real Estate in the east end of Louisville and Oldham County. Questions about Real Estate? Give Him a Call!